Don't forget this blog is also available to view on your phone so you can read this anywhere you are and you can now also share any pages and posts that you like on Twitter or Facebook.

Thursday, 26 April 2012

Chapter 8: The Last Song


Melody and Sam were sitting in the car. A month from the wedding had already passed and the day of the concert had finally arrived Sam wanted to be there for her all day for moral support so agreed to drive them to the studios for practise before the big concert debut.


They heading inside and Sam grabbed melody’s hand for support.

“Are you nervous?” Sam asked

“Erm, kind-of, I’m trying not to think of it too much, with all the practising I’ve been doing I hope it all goes well” Melody replied.


They entered the studio and were met by an already waiting Stephanie and Mags.

“And what time do you call this?” Mags questioned.

“I’m only one minute late” Melody protested.

“Sorry I haven’t spoken to you much after the big day but how is Mr. and Mrs. Barlow doing?” Stephanie interjected.

“We are fine thank you” Sam replied.

Although Sam had wanted to follow tradition and have Melody take his last name, as an up and coming artist it was best if Melody kept her surname and Sam changed his, either way he didn’t mind as long as Melody was still his wife.

“Now the pleasantries are out of the way I really do think this room should be used for business only so Melody if you don’t mind lets get ready” Mags instructed.

Mags had aged into an elder and she desperately wanted to keep her job, and she knew that by pushing her clients to be the best the board wouldn’t have any reason to fire her for her age.


Melody headed to the next room and when Stephanie gave her the all clear Melody started to sing.

“So what’s going on? I thought Melody had already recorded all the songs with you” Sam questioned.

“This is to fine tune the music for tonight, making sure the backing music will perfectly be in tune with her voice” Mags revealed.

“Sorry you two, but I need perfect silence to do this properly” Stephanie interrupted.


Melody over viewed the others from within the room she was in and could tell Sam was feeling awkward and out of place.


When she finished the song Melody headed over to Sam.

“Look I can tell you don’t really like being here and it’s OK singing is my thing not yours, just go out and have a coffee or whatever you want to do today I just want you at the concert tonight, that’s all I care about.” Melody said.


“You are such a wonderful person, thank-you for understanding” Sam replied with a hug.


With Sam gone Melody headed back to practising for the gig and Stephanie was able to work in peace.

******************************


The time for the concert finally arrived, and Stephanie, Melody and Mags made their way to the park. Melody and Stephanie had gotten changed before leaving Stephanie wanted to look her best and Melody had to wear the dress chosen for her to wear when she sings onstage.


“Are you looking forward to it?” Stephanie asked.

“I’m just so nervous, Sam said he would be hear to cheer me on and for moral support but I can’t see him anywhere, I don’t know what to do” Melody replied.


“Now Melody, hush. You will be fine just a little pre-singing jitters is all you have in my career I have seen so many artist go through the same thing as you and every time they got on the stage their doubts left them so I have no doubt in my mind that you will be anything less than spectacular” Mags encouraged.


Mags was right and Melody new it, so she held her head high, and whether Sam was there or not Melody would give the best performance she could give.


Melody took her position on the stage and let the music flow out of her.

“Lyin' here with you so close to me
It's hard to fight these feelings when it feels so hard to breathe
I'm caught up in this moment, caught up in your smile
I've never opened up to anyone
So hard to hold back when I'm holding you in my arms
We don't need to rush this, let's just take it slow”

The crowd started to cheer and Melody began to relax even more as she continued the song.

*********************************


Just a few blocks away Sam sat in the car as he drove to the concert.

“I hope I’m not late, I don’t want to let Melody down.” Sam thought, but as he drove closer he could hear Melody’s singing.

“AH SHIT” Sam cursed.

He quickly looked ahead to see if the coast was clear before speeding through a red light, unfortunately a drive was coming from the other direction and didn’t have their lights on, making them seem invisible to see. Sam only saw the other car when it was too late and the two cars collided as Sam went flying through the windscreen.

*********************************


Melody still at the concert, was unaware of the accident and continued the song.

“Just a kiss on your lips in the moonlight
Just a touch of the fire burning so bright
And I don't want to mess this thing up
No, I don't want to push too far

Just a shot in the dark that you just might
Be the one I've been waiting for my whole life
So baby, I'm alright with just a kiss goodnight”

AS Melody finished the song Stephanie spoke to her on the headset.

“Melody you need to come of the stage there’s a policeman here to talk to you” Stephanie informed her.


Melody thanked the crowd for coming and informed them she would be back in a moment as there were technical difficulties she had to deal with.


“What seems to be the matter officer?” Melody asked as she approached.


“Are you Mrs. Melody Barlow?” The young officer asked.

“Yes” Melody replied.

“I’m afraid I have some bad news about your husband. He was in a car accident and is now in the hospital fighting for his life,” The officer informed her.


“NO! LIAR! You have the wrong man, I’m telling you now you have the wrong man. Not my Sam, not Sam” Melody cried her body rocked as the tears ran down her face.


Stephanie grabbed Melody and pulled her into a comforting hug.

“There’s still a chance he will pull through and be ok” Stephanie reassured.

“I must go to the hospital and see him” Melody replied.

“But how? He was driving the car" Stephanie asked.

“I can take you to the hospital I have my car parked outside” The officer offered.


Melody took the offer and the police officer drove her to the hospital, not much was said on the drive there, Melody was still in shock and just couldn’t seem to function.


They arrived at the hospital and went to the front desk.

“Can you tell me where patient Sam Barlow is please I have his wife here” The officer asked.

“I’m afraid patient Sam Barlow’s body is still in ER, the crash was quite bad and most of his body organs were badly damaged” The reception replied, reading Sam report of the computer.


Melody’s head began to spin, she kept asking why? Why would Sam be so reckless? Why would he put himself in danger? Then the answered dawned on her, Sam must have been rushing to go to her concert, and it was all her fault.


Suddenly Melody became dizzier and the room faded to black. He collapsed to the floor much to the officer’s surprise.


He quickly grabbed her and tried to prop her up.

“Melody. Melody, can you hear me? Melody?” The officer said, checking for a regular pulse.

“Somebody please get help.” He called.

*********************************


When Melody opened her eyes she was lying on a hospital bed in a circular room.

“You gave us quite a scare for a while but you blood pressure is back to normal,” A woman told Melody.

“What? Who are you?” Melody asked half asleep.


“My name is Doctor Jennifer Martinez, now don’t worry you and child are ok” Dr. Jennifer replied.

“Child?” Melody question, “What child?”

“Oh dear you must be confused from the fall, Melody you are pregnant” Dr. Jennifer confirmed.


“I didn’t know,” Melody confessed, but what can you tell me of my husband? Sam Barlow, is he OK?”

“Erm, well I’m afraid Sam is…”

~End of Chapter~

*********************************
Author’s Note: Hi, for those of you who were wondering about the song Melody sings it is ‘Just a kiss’ by Lady Antebellum.

6 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh Minty! I could just reach through my monitor! Grrr! This chapter literally made my cry! :*( I really really hope Sam is okay, especially with a baby on the way that he doesn't even know about! :o

    I really hope a new chapter comes out soon...lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *evil laugh* mwahahahaha, i have deadlines due at college, so it'll take a while for a new chapter :-)

      Delete
    2. Lol, no that's okay. I am just anxious now because of the major cliffhanger!! Grrr! :D

      Delete
  2. All caught up with Melody's story!!!!! Oh no poor Sam.....but i do like the drama of it! (I'm so evil!) Anyways great story as always Minty, i'm guessing you have the new ep? The concert looked amazing :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks angie, (i'm only now getting to answering you back xD) and yeah i have all the eps and sps, i pre-order them all before they come out :)

      Delete
  3. Noooo Sam needs to be ok...Melody needs him :(

    ReplyDelete