Don't forget this blog is also available to view on your phone so you can read this anywhere you are and you can now also share any pages and posts that you like on Twitter or Facebook.

Friday, 12 August 2011

Chapter 4: Mysteries Unravelled



It had been a stressful few weeks since Jenna had died in the house fire, looking after a baby was more of a handful then Grey had first realised so it was nice to have Holly’s help. Grey had named the baby Adam after Holly had found the name embroidered in blanket he was wrapped up in on the night he was born. Although Adam wouldn’t know his mother Grey thought having the name she picked for him would help him still be connected to her in some way.

One day Grey got a call from his boss, Patrick, asking him to go in to work early. The only person Grey trusted enough to look after Adam while he went in early was Holly, normally Grey would take Adam to work with him as Patrick and the other fire fighters would coo over Adam and would jump at the opportunity of looking after the well-behaved baby while Grey quickly left now and then to put out a fire. However today Grey could feel in the pit of his stomach that something bad was going to happen, and Patrick calling him in early only set off warning alarms in Grey’s head.

Holly jumped at the opportunity to look after Adam as she had bonded well with him and came around early like she was asked. When she got there Adam was just starting to wake up so Holly sang a lullaby to distract him while Grey left. Grey whispered a thank you to Holly as he closed the door behind him.

****************************************************************************************


When Grey arrived at work he feared the worse, but when he entered the office. “Good morning Grey. Take a seat and we’ll get down to business” Patrick remarked, noticing Grey’s facial expression he added, “And take that look of your face it’s good news”.

Grey relaxed, maybe his gut feeling was wrong, maybe this day was going to be a good day. With the butterflies in his stomach fading Grey took a seat opposite Patrick.

“So, what did you want to see me about boss?” Grey asked intrigued.

“How would you like another promotion?” Patrick replied.


Grey was shocked, “I’m stunned, thank-you so much, but what have I done to deserve this?”

“You have gone above and beyond the call of duty here, especially balancing a job like this with being a single parent to a baby. Speaking of which, where is the little chuckle monster?” Patrick said.

“He’s at home with a friend of mine today” Grey replied, “Thanks again for the promotion”.

Grey rose from his seat and was about to exit the room when Patrick stopped him.

“Grey, before I forget there’s a woman upstairs waiting for you, she wouldn’t tell me her name and said it was personal, I’d as her to leave but there something about her that gives me the creeps. Maybe it’s her glowing eyes” Patrick informed him.

“Ok, thanks Boss” Grey replied leaving the room.


Glowing eyes? Could it be her? Grey thought as he climbed the stairs but his question was answered when she caught his eye. It was her, the woman who he saw running away from Jenna’s building, it was Jenna’s murderer and his stalker. What’s she doing here?


Grey took a seat on the sofa across from her. “You have a nerve being here” Grey stated.

“So, is that how you welcome your fiancée nowadays?” The woman replied, “What’s the matter Ezra, cat got your tongue?”

Grey was dumbstruck, she murdered Jenna and now she was pretending to be his fiancée.

“Who are you? How did you find me? Why do you think we are engaged? And while you’re answering my questions, answer this one, why did you murder Jenna?” Grey quizzed.

Hundreds of questions were running through his head but these were the only ones he could manage to get out of his mouth.


“You really don’t remember, do you?” The woman said, the hurt was showing in her eyes, she hadn’t felt this type of human emotion for a long time and it was a bit overwhelming, “My name is Chloe VanHorn. You proposed to me just before you took the vampire cure which seems to be the reason for your amnesia. I didn’t find you, it was me who left you in the woods. I had to leave early otherwise during nightfall they’d have been able to track me and find you, and for that I’m sorry. Since then I have been reading your mind telepathically to find out what’s going on, and I promise you I had nothing to do with Jenna’s death.

“What makes you think I’d believe all this rubbish? The cure? They’d have found me? Telepathy? It all sounds like a fairy-tale to me” Grey replied, “You’re a vampire, an evil creation, what makes you think I’d believe you?”

“Please, believe me, I love you” Chloe begged.

“I think you should leave” Grey replied.


Angry and hurt Chloe rose from her seat and started to walk away, but then she stopped and turned on her heal to face Grey.

“It doesn’t matter if you believe me or not Ezra” Chloe barked between tears, “but they are after you and you are in danger so you better start watching who you let into your life, especially with Adam around”


With that said Chloe stormed off, with Grey watching in astonishment. What did she mean? Watch who I let into my life? Crazy woman, and how dare she bring Adam into this. Wait, how did she know Adam’s name. Grey head was drowning with his thoughts and unanswered questions, but one kept coming to the surface. What if she’s right? Without saying a word to anyone not even Patrick, Grey left the fire station and headed home.


He called for a taxi to take him home and sat in the back of the car, with his hands shaking. His heartbeat raced and his mind filled with scenarios of what would happen when he arrived there. When he arrived home, Grey thought he’d have a heart attack. The cabin was on fire, Grey chucked all the money in his pocket at the driver and ran from the cab, not even the driver’s call to say he’d over paid and needed to collect his change stopped him from running into the burning shack.

He entered the shack and looked around expecting to see the faces of Holly and Adam, but there was nothing not even a sound. The only things in there making any movement and sound were Grey and the flames.


He exited the house and slammed the door behind him. What happened? He thought, who could have done this? Grey knew he needed answers and the only one who could answer them was Chloe. If she was right, then I need to know who ‘They’ are and why ‘They’ are after me.

Grey remembered what Chloe had said about using telepathy to listen to his thoughts so if he thought hard enough surely, she’d answer him. He closed his eyes and concentrated as hard as he could and let his mind clear and thought as loud as he could. Chloe, if your there I’m sorry and I need your help.


When Grey opened his eyes, he saw Chloe standing by a tree, unsure whether she should come closer.

Grey felt ashamed. “It’s ok” He called, “I’m sorry for what I said to you, it was wrong”

Chloe ran over to him and without thinking pulled him into a hug, although she quickly let go when she saw the burning cabin behind him. “OH MY GOSH!” She exclaimed, “They’ve found you”.

“Please Chloe, can you help me” Grey begged, “I need you to tell me everything, who are ‘they’?”


Chloe was a bit unsure but when she saw the desperation in his eyes, she remembered the feeling of once being a human and the illusion of despair that all humans feel.

“Of course, I’ll help you, you’re my fiancé after all” Chloe replied, “I’ll tell you everything”

No comments:

Post a Comment